A mobile app, marketplace, and social network for fishing, one of the world's most popular hobbies.
- Over 14 million registered users worldwide
- Backed by Softbank, B Capital Group, NorthZone, Industrifonden
- Over 13 million catches logged
- Over 500 brands and 100K fishing products
Fishbrain is a mobile app and social network for people who love fishing. Used by more than 14 million anglers worldwide, Fishbrain helps deliver the best possible fishing experience by providing every angler - whether beginner or pro - with the tools, insights, and support they need to fully enjoy one of the world’s most popular hobbies.
There are more than 55 million anglers in the United States, who collectively spend nearly $50 billion in retail sales. Fishing is one of America’s most popular and top-grossing hobbies — almost three times the size of the music industry. In Europe, the annual expenditure by anglers is an estimated EUR 25 billion.
Fishbrain is disrupting an industry that has remained traditional, not only making fishing more accessible but also levelling the playing field for the growing numbers of women, minorities, and young people looking to take up the sport.
The company's mission is to make fishing dreams come true, today and tomorrow.
Key accomplishments to dateEdit
• Backed by VCs, including Softbank Ventures Asia, B Capital Group, NorthZone, and Industrifonden
• 14 million users worldwide
• 13 million catches logged
• $10.4m in revenue for 2021. An average of 9% increase in monthly revenue in 2022 ahead of 2021.
• Market Place Sales +155% for YTD 2022 vs 2021
• Subscription Sales +15% for YTD 2022 vs 2021
• Number of Paying subscribers +15% for YTD 2022 vs the full year of 2021
• A marketplace of over 500 fishing brands with over 100K fishing gear products
• Twice named by WIRED as one of Europe’s Hottest Startups
• Editor's Choice App by Apple
Fishbrain's monetization strategy is built on both freemium subscriptions and marketplace sales.
The social media component of the platform, which is free, generates data by users logging catches and interacting with each other. That data can then be analysed and generates insights as well as recommendations to "Pro" users, so they can catch more and bigger fish.
The company offers three different subscription options for its users, ranging from monthly to annual offerings at price points of approximately £8 per month to £65 per year.
On the marketplace, Fishbrain takes a 15% commission on gross merchandise volume (GMV) for facilitating the sale of fishing gear on the platform by merchants and retailers. The company is also exploring in-app ads as an additional revenue stream.
Use of proceedsEdit
The investment will be primarily used to support efforts in sales, marketing, and business development initiatives, with the remaining balance for working capital for the company.
• 30% salaries & other employee benefits
• 40% marketing & business development-related costs
• 10% legal, consulting, and IT
• 20% other operating costs necessary for conducting the business not covered above.
The company has 4 different classes of shares, Ordinary shares, Series A preference shares, Series B preference shares and Series B1 preference shares.
All investors in this round will receive Ordinary shares.
The Series A, Series B, and Series B1 preference shares carry a 1x non-participating preference. On an exit or liquidation, the proceeds will be distributed as follows:
- First, the Series B1 preference shareholders will receive the higher of (i) USD 33.55 per Series B1 preference share and (ii) the amount they would be entitled to if all shareholders shared pro-rata in the proceeds regardless of share class.
- Second, the Series B preference shareholders will receive the higher of (i) USD 33.55 per Series B1 preference share and (ii) the amount they would be entitled to if all shareholders shared pro-rata in the proceeds regardless of share class.
- Third, the Series A preference shareholders will receive the higher of (i) SEK 251.9747 per Series A preferred share and (ii) the amount they would be entitled to if all shareholders shared pro-rata in the proceeds regardless of share class.
- Finally the remaining proceeds will be distributed amongst ordinary shareholders.
The Series B preference shares also carry a broad-based weighted average anti-dilution right, i.e. in the event the company issues shares at a lower share price than USD 33.55, holders will be entitled to additional shares at nominal value to mitigate some of the dilution.
The lead investor has invested US $1,000,000 as part of this round at a share price of $42.09. This has been converted to EUR and reflected as €948,696.87. The company has also converted the share price and pre-money valuation based on an FX rate of $1 / €0.948.
Chief Operating Officer
Chief Technology Officer
Chief Product Officer
Chief Marketing Officer
As with any investment, investing in Fishbrain carries a level of risk. Overall, based on the key risks highlighted below, the degree of risk associated with an investment in Fishbrain is higher than in a company that's trading on a public market.
Fishbrain is at one of the earliest stages of the business lifecycle, and the failure rate of companies at that stage is usually much higher than those at a later stage.
The number of transactions in shares of private companies is usually significantly lower than in public companies, typically resulting in it taking longer to sell shares in private companies at a price that is at least equal to the price that the shares were bought at. Accordingly, the Fishbrain investment opportunity is considered to be higher risk than more liquid companies.
To invest in Fishbrain, click here.
To contact Fishbrain, click here.
- Based on unaudited management accounts.